This, the 10th International Symposium on Biomining* (Biomining '21),is the postponed Biomining '20, which was affected by the Coronavirus outbreak. It is organised by MEI with Prof Sue Harrison and Dr Chris Bryan and is sponsored by AFX Mixing & Pumping Technologies & Newmont. Media sponsors are International Mining. Industry Associates are the Cornwall Mining Alliance and the Critical Minerals Association.
Due to COVID the conference will be held online.
Biomining '21 will focus on the latest developments in the field of biohydrometallurgy and bioprocessing: the development, optimisation and application of integrated biomining process operations for mineral ores, including low grade and complex ores; the microbiology of biomining and the application of biohydrometallurgy, bioflotation and other technologies to novel resources (such as mine and electronic wastes) and the (bio)remediation of mining-impacted environments.
1. Biomining Process Development:
- Development and optimisation of biohydrometallurgy processes, including sub-processes of biohydrometallurgy, reactor systems, hydrodynamics and modelling
- Associated Unit operations, Up- and Downstream processing (including waste management) etc
2. The Microbiology of Biomining:
- Microbial ecology and succession, both description and kinetics
- Microbial consortia and bioprospecting
- Certain fundamental aspects.
3. Biohydrometallurgy Applications:
- Biomining (i.e. Bioleaching, Biooxidation) applications - both heap and tank
- Novel and potential resources (e.g. electronic and other metallic wastes)
- Bioremediation applications (e.g. the treatment, prevention and prediction of AMD, metal recovery from wastes etc.)
- Other biotechnologies in mining and metallurgical industries.
Call for papers: Short abstracts, of no more than 150 words, should be emailed to Dr. Barry Wills in Rich Text Format (.rtf) by the end of March. Please ensure that your abstracts do not contain Figures, References, Tables or Equations.
The conference programme will be announced closer to the time.
* Previous events were named the International Symposium on Biohydrometallurgy